Monday, January 02, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays: Spiderweb

This week my teaser lines come from Spiderweb, by Penelope Lively. The novel tells the story of Stella Brentwood, a 65-year-old newly retired anthropologist who has recently moved to a small English village to begin her new post-employment life. This excerpt is from p.15 of the paperback edition:
She had plans. There were articles that she intended to write, for the journals of her trade. She would keep her hand in professionally. But she would branch out, also. Read with luxurious eclecticism,...learn about things of which she knew nothing.
And I will get a dog, she thought suddenly.
I'm only about halfway through this one, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Stella, however, doesn't really strike me as a dog person, so I'm wondering how that's going to turn out.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

20 comments:

  1. As a Baby Boomer, I'm always pleased to see books with older characters. I'm buying this one!
    My Teaser is here: http://iousex.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday-jan-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great teaser! This looks like something I would enjoy. My teaser comes from a collection of short stories by L.M. Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she isn't a dog person then I wonder why she wants one lol But it is good to have plans and try to learn new things!
    My Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see an older protagonist for once. I also like your teaser!

    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something that would be nice to do - retire to a small English village and have a dog. Sounds like a very good book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser! This is my first time coming across this book, but it sounds like an interesting read. thanks for sharing!

    I'm a new follower. :)

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting... 'luxurious eclecticism' - love it. Might just have to check this one out!

    Here's my Teaser Tuesdays ~ House Millar series

    Áine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tease! This one is definitely being added to my TBR list - thank you for sharing! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesdays-half-blood-by-jennifer.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like her plans to branch out in her retirement. I have been thinking about getting a dog in my retirement too. My teasers are from Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey and Future Perfect by Suzanne Brockmann. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really get a sense of her frame of mind in this teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I do enjoy seeing characters in my "age group," lol....

    This one sounds wonderful! It's going on my list....

    Here's MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great teaser, must look into.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Nice teaser today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good one--enjoy the rest of it! My blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this looks good! I will be hunting this one down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the teaser and the whole set-up really. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you get this through one of your early reviewer plans? I looked at B&N for it last night as well as on my nook and it isn't to be found! It looks good and I want to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete