Thursday, January 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Skipping

This week, BTT asks: "Do you skip ahead in a book? Do you feel badly about it when you do?"

Have to admit, I might occasionally skip around in a book. Sometimes I'll skip back and forth, and read different parts, out of order. Sometimes I "skim" sections, without reading every single word. And sometimes I simply leave portions completely unread. Not often -- but it's been known to happen.

Does this cause me shame or embarrassment? Nope. I suppose I might feel a bit uncomfortable if it's an ARC or a book I've promised to review. Then I do try to read every word. And that's one of the reasons I've cut way back on requesting or accepting advance copies.

I agree with Somerset Maugham, in the article mentioned. For me, reading is a diversion (unless the work being read is an instruction book or the like). These days, I read purely for pleasure -- so if I decide to skip a few lines or paragraphs or pages, I don't feel guilty about it at all.

7 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I agree, skipping isn't shameful it just gets you were you want to be. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens that I skip or skim, and if I do, it does not really weigh down my conscience. But with a really good book I rarely feel the need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. A lot of my reading is for entertainment, so that is why I am reading the book to start with. If I am not being entertained, I never feel guilty about not reading the whole book, and skipping to the last chapter to see the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about power reading or reading really fast, a kind of skimming. I think most readers probably skim parts of books that don't grab them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to do it--but when I do, I definitely don't feel guilty.

    Full answer: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday-skipping-ahead.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a skimmer and a new follower now . here is my link if you wish to read and follow back. http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I skip. But back and forth - don't think I have tried that. Here's mine- http://www.stasiadesiderata.com/2012/01/19/skipping-parts-of-books/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.