Thursday, January 12, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Interview, Part 2

I missed last week's question about interviewing -- which is just as well, since I have no idea of who I'd want to interview. Possibly one of my dead ancestors, but I'd have a hell of time figuring out which one.

So, forward to today's topic. This week, Deb at BTT has her own little interview in mind: "But enough about interviewing other people. It’s time I interviewed YOU."

And here are the questions with my answers following:

1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?
My favorite time of day to read is actually night. I love (and do) read at any time of day, but for some reason I read faster and more comfortably at night -- especially after midnight, in the wee hours. Assuming I'm rested and not sleepy, I can very happily read all night long. And I think I retain more of what I read late at night, too.
2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
I do eat breakfast (it's your most important meal -- I'm saying that for my cousin MLB who has been known to skimp on calories by skimping on breakfast -- tsk! tsk!). And I usually do read while I eat it, and sometimes write, too.
3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
I suppose my favorite breakfast food would have to be something sweet and gooey and really bad for you, like cinnamon buns or cheese danish or chocolate croissants, or nice fluffy pancakes with real maple syrup. Or anything with bacon and grits. Or those full English breakfasts you get across the pond. Of course, I never actually eat that breakfast because I know all about cholesterol and blood pressure and bypass surgery.
4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
That varies drastically. Some days, I don't read at all. Some days, I've got a book in my hands almost every minute. Just depends on my mood and what else is going on.
5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
Ah, there's a sad story there. And it's actually what got me hooked on blogging (not that I'm sad about that). All during the 1990s and early in the present century, I had become almost a non-reader -- after being a voracious book consumer all my life. Things, mostly my job, just got in the way and I never seemed to have the time or energy to sit down and read a book, just for pleasure. Aside from work-related material, brief newspaper or magazine articles were the most I could manage back then. But then a few years ago, I found out about book blogging and turned myself back into a reader. Which is really why I keep this blog going -- it's keeping me reading. So the answer is -- I read much more today than I did ten years ago.
6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
(Excuse the hysterical laughter.) No, I don't consider myself anything like a speed reader. Although I can read fast when I need to, my natural inclination is to read at a very leisurely pace. Too leisurely, really.
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I don't want a superpower. But a phaser and a teleporter would be quite appreciated.
8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
Just about.
9. What KIND of book?
Whatever I'm currently reading, if it's small enough to fit in my handbag (I don't have a Kindle or Nook yet). Otherwise, I'll grab something that does fit.
10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
You know, I actually don't remember exactly how old I was. Ten, maybe? Not terribly young because we didn't have a public library really near us. I do remember being completely amazed at the idea of all those books to browse and read for free.
11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
I love old books, but there really aren't any ancient books in our collection. We have a (mid) 19th Century edition of Pepys' diary with some very nice prints, and an 1893 edition of Alice in Wonderland with a lovely gilded cover, and a few first editions of some early 20th Century novels. I have no idea what book would have the oldest copyright. And as for "oldest in the collection" -- I guess that would be one of the books I've saved from childhood, probably either The Real Mother Goose or The Bumper Book. I don't remember how old I was when I got those, but they both have my pre-school scribbles and artwork in them.
12. Do you read in bed?
Sometimes.
13. Do you write in your books?
Yes, although it depends on the book.
14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?
Read what makes you happy, but don't be afraid to try something completely unlike anything you've tried before. Maybe that'll make you happy, too.
15. What question have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask? (Actually, leave the answer to this one in the comments on this post, huh? So I can find them when I need inspiration!)
Can't promise anything here. I'm really bad at coming up with these questions.

7 comments:

  1. I liked your answers...you seemed to be carrying on a conversation with us, which I find enjoyable.

    I think I read much more now because of blogging...but also because I retired a few years ago and have more time available.

    I'd love to see that Alice in Wonderland book!

    Here's MY BTT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. A teleporter would be nice. Or a TARDIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I carry a book almost everywhere I go also. I just recently got a Nook, so it will probably be what goes with me everywhere now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your answers, enjoyed reading them.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your answer to #7! There are days I'd make do with the Vulcan nerve pinch (and I can name names of people I'd like to use it on....)

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday-inteview.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. i take a book with me everywhere too- and I love big gooey breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I was in junior high when I got my first library card because there wasn't a library near us. I used the school library plenty before that, though.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.