Saturday, December 12, 2015

2015 Challenge Wrap-ups: Books in Translation, Chunkster, and Outdo Yourself Challenges

Although 2015 was a pretty good reading year for me, I didn't do terribly well when it comes to reviewing or linking up the reviews I did write. I've been sort of holding off on challenge wrap-ups, hoping to get a few more reviews posted, but that's really a little doubtful at this point. The rest of the year is looking pretty busy right now -- not a lot of time for reading or reviewing. So I think it's time to go ahead and start wrapping up my challenges for 2015 and get ready for new challenges in 2016. Here go the first three....



I think this challenge gets my award for the best "button" of the year. Isn't that gorgeous?

Many thanks to Vassily for hosting the 2015 Chunkster Challenge. I set myself a goal of two chunksters for the challenge, but only managed one: The Quick, by Lauren Owen. I think my days of reading really long books might be over. Too many books, not enough years left.



The Books in Translation Reading Challenge was hosted by Jen @ The Introverted Reader. (Thank you, Jen!) I signed up at the Beginner Level (1-3 books), and read four books that would qualify. (Only one review so far -- possibly more to come in the next couple of days.)
  1. Vertigo. Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac (trans. from the French by Geoffrey Sainsbury)
  2. The Truth and Other Lies. Sascha Arango (trans. from the German by Imogen Taylor)
  3. South of the Border, West of the Sun. Haruki Murakami (trans. from the Japanese by Philip Gabriel)
  4. Backstabbing in Beaujolais. Jean-Pierre Alaux, Noël Balen (trans. from the French by Anne Trager  


I'm not sure what happened to this year's Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge after The Book Vixen gave up on blogging. Every time I've tried to reach her old blog, my computer hangs up and then shuts everything down. So, anyway -- I did outdo myself: in 2015 I read at least five more books than I read in 2014, depending on how I count it (I read several children's picture books that I'm lumping together). If you're curious, you can see the list of this year's reads over on my challenge blog (HERE).


4 comments:

  1. I love a good chunkster, but a good one doesn't feel that long. The Quick felt interminable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I hung up my blogging hat, the blog is still up (for now). I just checked and was able to access the blog and the Outdo Yourself Challenge page. Maybe try clearing your cache, or trying another browser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and congrats on outdoing yourself!! If you'd like to participate in the challenge again in 2016, it's being hosted here.

      (I hit 'publish' too soon LOL)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Brianna! Yes, I'm not sure why I had trouble with it -- I've tried several browsers and the clearing cache thing. Still the same. Maybe something about Apple? Anyway, I did enjoy the challenge -- thanks so much for hosting! I've got next year's challenge, with the new host, on the list of new challenges I'm watching.

      Delete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.