Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: First Inspector Wexford

This week, I'm reading From Doon with Death, by Ruth Rendell. It's the first in her long-running series of detective novels featuring Inspector Wexford. I've read several of the later books in the series, and decided I needed to go back and see where it all started. In this bit, Wexford and his partner are hashing over the suspects in their murder case – and, naturally, the victim's husband is their best bet:
". . . The thing is, I can't think of a motive."
"Oh, motive," Wexford said. "Any husband's got a motive."
[p. 40]
Now, Inspector, is that a nice thing to say? Probably pretty accurate, though. Well, except for my own hubby, who's married to the world's most perfect wife.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

16 comments:

  1. I love the sense of humor shown in your teaser and your own comment as well. You all were joking, weren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome teaser! Mine is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/to-be-king-teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that teaser - lol! I like Ruth Rendell, but it's been a while since I've read her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, fun teaser! The Inspector seems a bit jaded, doesn't he?

    My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the teaser.
    I do not read much inspector type books, this one sounds intriguing.

    Here is my Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he tells the truth! Nice teaser!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's pretty sad how true that is! Interesting teaser!

    Here is mine, if you should be interested: http://www.wellreadreviews.com/blog/?p=979

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - great teaser :) . . . although I'd tend to agree with you.

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the teaser! You kind of wish the guy wasn't so...perceptive...don't you? Ha!

    Meanwhile, my own teaser, also in fact a quote from a cop (though not nearly so amusing), is at Bookishgal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good teaser -- and good recommendation. I'm in the mood for a new mystery series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I'm pretty sure it goes both ways, at least for those un-perfect among us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Used to read lots of detective fiction, have somehow fallen out of it, I must reconnect - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehe, i like your teaser. Sounds like something one of Wilkie Collins's characters would say actually! I've never read any Ruth Rendell, but I do like a good thriller.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.