Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Family Secrets

This week my teaser comes from Ellen Gilchrist's short story collection Victory Over Japan. It's one of the books I've been reading for the Battle of the Prizes Challenge. And although the challenge actually ended yesterday, I'm still reading this book and haven't quite made it to this section yet. So I'm not quite sure what the context is, but it's from the story "Crazy, Crazy, Now Showing Everywhere," and it sounds interesting:
"That's the trouble with getting drunk with your cousins," Sandor said. "They tell everything you did. We called Diane the Duchess because she always tried to boss everyone around." [p. 105]
Yes, cousins can be hard to handle – drunk or sober. Not that I ever made a habit of getting drunk with any of mine. Of course, in my family I was usually the cousin bossing all the others around! And I'm pretty sure "Duchess" would have been tame compared to some of the names they had for me.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB17 at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or participate yourself, head on over to her blog. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) "teaser" sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you're getting your "teaser" from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you've given! Please avoid spoilers!

22 comments:

  1. I like that passage! Haven't heard of this book, but will go look it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting... I will have to look into this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this book. Interesting.

    My tease: Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, now, I have always been very complacent and obedient. You were only bossy when we were playing school -- or Winky Dink. Yes, we have never been drunk together -- maybe we should! Who knows -- could be fun but we would probably just fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one :) Looks like an interesting read... Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one! You piqued my curiosity.

    Here is my Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that teaser! I have to agree on the bit about 'Duchess' being a tame nickname...there are lots worse things to be called...

    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this teaser! It reminds me of all the great times with my own cousins, though I can't say that we ever got drunk together. But I can just see all the dynamics at work again, reading this teaser. Good times, good times. :-)

    Meanwhile, my own teaser is at Bookishgal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your teaser Joy! I don't think it stops at cousins though - I think many family members will talk about others regardless of how drunk or not drunk they get! :)

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! Thanks for coming by my blog so I could find you, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That one made me smile. Gotta love extended family :)
    Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great teaser. All my cousins live in other states so it's not somehting I have to worry about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice teaser! :-) Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup. It's not just the cousins though that you have to watch out for. It's the siblings too!

    Here's my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Hi:

    Two things

    1) I’d like your permission to (re)print your article on ‘Dollhouse’ for our website

    2) I was hoping we could use your ‘scribing’ talent for our website.

    The Best Shows Youre Not Watching (dot) com [all one word]
    ‘Dollhouse’ is one of our featured shows. We’re hoping to round up a few people who can occasionally contribute perspective (via an article/blog) on the shows – maybe a recent episode, future direction, plot shortcomings etc.

    What’s in it for you?
    Primarily a larger audience back channeled to your blog. We don’t pay but the site has a lot of promise and we're pretty excited about getting it off the ground. Let me know what you think.
    http://www.thebestshowsyourenotwatching.com/

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the stories my cousins could tell! Luckily, I can tell stories about them, too. Keeps us all quiet.

    My teaser is here - it's a scary one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard of the book, but the teaser is great. I don't think I've ever gotten drunk with my cousins, though. My friends, yes, family, no.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one is moving higher up my TBR pile by the minute!

    And you have special dispensation to get your review in even though the challenge is "officially" over. I'm the Duchess of the Battle of the Prizes Challenge and I say it is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like it's a book you'll enjoy. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.