Monday, September 21, 2009

Random Notes: Today in Bookish History

Several of my favorite people were born on this day, including a couple of great writers. H.G. Wells was born on September 21st in 1866, and Leonard Cohen in 1934.






Also, according to Wikipedia, today marks the anniversary of the first publication of Tolkien's The Hobbit in 1937. Frodo Lives!

And the New York Times tells us that on September 21, 1897, The New York Sun ran an editorial that answered the famous question from 8-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon, "Is there a Santa Claus?" So little Virginia was already thinking about Saint Nick in September. What a retailer she would have made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.