Monday, April 14, 2008

Random Photo Monday: Siblings in Sepia

Last Friday would have been my mother's 87th birthday. This is a photo of her and (I believe) her younger sister, my Aunt Bette, taken around 1924. Since Bette looks to be about a year old, Mamma would have been around three. Check out those snazzy shoes.

Mamma had two sisters (my Aunt Linnie came along nearly five years later), and until my mom started putting on weight later in life, they all looked very much alike. In fact, in photos of the sisters in their teens and early twenties, if there's no note on the back, I sometimes have trouble figuring out which sister is my mom!

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen this picture! I don't have but a couple of pictures of our mothers as children amd those were badly damaged when the house burned. Yes, that is my mother and 1924 would be a reasonable time frame. Weren't they cute? A lot like us! I might have to start a photo page myself but yours are much more interesting than mine would be -- you have better pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely picture. I am sorry your mom is no longer with you. I imagine that must be difficult but I am certain that reliving memories through photos and things like this keep her close and her memory fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you do these photo Mondays. Old pictures are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. carl v.-
    Thank you. Yes, I feel really fortunate to have so many wonderful family photos. They can be quite a comfort sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shereadsbooks-
    Glad you like the photos. I agree about old photos being cool. I have a large collection of both family and non-family snaps. They're one of my favorite things to look for in antique shops and flea markets.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.