Thursday, April 10, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Writing Challenge

This week's BTT topic:
Pick up the nearest book. (I’m sure you must have one nearby.)
Turn to page 123.
What is the first sentence on the page?
The last sentence on the page?
Now . . . connect them together….
(And no, you may not transcribe the entire page of the book–that’s cheating!)

I've been reading Chatterton, by Peter Ackroyd, and the first and last sentences on page 123 make such a neat little duet, I don't think I need to do any more "connecting" at all. (Which is just as well - I've been to the dentist this morning and the Novocain is deadening my brain quite nicely.)

"One please," she said to the old man who was sitting there disconsolately. She saw a face which reminded her of a friend long dead, and then another, and another."

Since I haven't gotten this far in the book yet, I don't know who "she" is, or why the old man is disconsolate. But the seeing of the friends long dead sounds like typical Peter Ackroyd.

1 comment:

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.