Thursday, April 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Springing

This week's BTT topic:
Do your reading habits change in the Spring? Do you read gardening books? Even if you don’t have a garden? More light fiction than during the Winter? Less? Travel books? Light paperbacks you can stick in a knapsack?
Or do you pretty much read the same kinds of things in the Spring as you do the rest of the year?

I'd like to be able to say that I'm well-organized enough to have a reading routine – light fiction in spring and summer, heavier stuff in the fall, Christmas books at Christmas, etc. That would be my ideal. But I'm much more apt to just read the first thing I grab from my "to be read" stack. And I think I read mostly the same sorts of things year-round, rarely venturing very far from just a few favorite genres, alas.

I believe that's why I've been so attracted to internet reading challenges – they’ve introduced a little more discipline and variety into my reading life.

11 comments:

  1. I always start out organized but I never stay that way. I've already discarded my "reading plan" and am winging it now. :)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am a fellow booking through Thursday. I enjoyed reading your post. I had a chance to browse through your blog. I found it quite interesting. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - Me too. I don't think I've had a real reading plan since I left college, many many years ago!

    Charli - Thanks for the kind words! BTT is a lot of fun, isn't it?

    Have a great day, ya'll, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a great one for planning what intend to read only to find that something else appears on the library shelves that takes my attention and then... well we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you.. reading pretty much the same stuff year round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Table Talk - Exactly my problem. I make lots of lists, but usually end up ignoring them. And I'm hopeless in the library - I always come home with a huge stack of books that I'll never be able to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the opposite. I have too much of a reading routine.
    1st: Canadian fiction
    2nd: Non-Canadian fiction
    3rd: Non-fiction from anywhere
    4th: A Shakespeare play or a book from the Bible

    It's more than a bit anal, so I'm a little envious of those of you not uptight enough to stick to such a rigid schedule. But, like you, Spring doesn't come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John - Well, probably somewhere in between would be best – not too regimented but a little more disciplined than I tend to be! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lisamm - In my case, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm such a slow reader - I can stretch just a couple of books over several months if I'm not careful! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so right. That would take too much organization, something I'm not very fond of! ;)

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way with my reading, no organized changes to celebrate the different seasons.

    Thanks for the visit. My review of The Children is up. Once I started writing I couldn't stop so it's a long and revealing review. Lots of spoilers. Consider yourself warned. =)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.