Thursday, April 03, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Lit-Ra-Chur

This week's BTT topic:
When somebody mentions “literature,” what’s the first thing you think of? (Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare?)
Do you read “literature” (however you define it) for pleasure? Or is it something that you read only when you must?

OK, I have to admit the first thing I think of when I hear the term is Julie Walters in the film "Educating Rita": "I want to study LIT-ra-tyur."

Wow, this is one of those questions I could mull over for days and still not come up with a satisfactory answer. I suppose I do make a distinction between "literary" reading and, say, reading the L.L. Bean catalog. But to me, these days, books are books. And whether it's Dickens or Dr. Seuss, I read purely for pleasure.

4 comments:

  1. Anything to read for pleasure!

    Here is my BTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyment is key!
    And you reminded me that I don't remember reading any Dr. Seuss so maybe now would be a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's good and bad, but it's all literature and the big idea is to read whatever you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!

    Joanna - Wow, if you've never read Dr. Seuss, now is definitely the time to start.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.