Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Gloom and Doom

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given! Please avoid spoilers!

This week, I'm just getting started on Douglas Preston's Blasphemy; reading it for the Suspense-Thriller Challenge. And here, not for the squeamish, are my two teasers (from p.65 of the paperback edition):
"I brought my cat – I couldn't bear to be parted from her. Two days after we arrived, I heard a howl and saw a coyote running off with her."
Well, that was pretty awful, wasn't it? So, since I'm still reading A.S. Byatt's Angels & Insects as well, I thought I'd include a quote from that one, too – maybe lighten things up a little. No such luck, I'm afraid. These are from p.273:
Cecilia's lost children approached from the spirit world through the voices of Sophy Sheekhy and Mrs Papagay. Cecilia's marriage had been happy, but the boy Edmund, the child invoked into being in the poem, had died long ago, aged thirteen, followed by his two sisters Emily and Lucy, over the slow years, at nineteen and twenty-one, breaking poor Cecilia's heart.
Well, I guess you can't really expect a lot of laughs from Byatt. But I'm hoping the Preston doesn't turn out to be as gloomy as those teasers make it sound. Otherwise, I may have to limit my reading adventures to P.G. Wodehouse and Fannie Flagg for the rest of the year.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I think I would definitely need to read something humorous after those two. My initial link was faulty so try
    here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they are gloomy and doomy, they are still good teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a contrast. My dog would approve of the former but I'd definitely do with the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, I'm visiting my parents in Phoenix this week (ten days away from snow and cold - yay!) and had to tell you that I went for a walk last night to look at the stars. I heard one howl and then that was joined by two or three distinct and different howls. Yes, coyotes. I finished my walk quickly : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man those are some depressing teasers! I hope your books get better or at least involve less death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are good teasers!

    http://nanscorner.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teasers...after these two books you're going to have to read something cheery and sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not very uplifting this week - but I found the first one especially effective in it's directness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Joy! Gloom and Doom was right!!

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.