Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Monday! What are you reading this week?

J. Kaye is my blogging role-model. She's amazing, and just keeps coming up with great ideas. This week she's unveiling a new weekly event, It's Monday! What are you reading this week? Well, officially unveiling anyway – she's actually been doing these posts for a while now. But now she's inviting the rest of us to join her. As she says:
"This is a weekly event to list the books completed last week, the books currently being reading, and the books to be finished this week."
I think I really need something like this to keep me on track. Thanks, J. Kaye.

So, here's where I am, literarily, this week:

Last week, I only finished one book, Douglas Preston's Blasphemy. Hope to make myself sit down and write a short review very soon. Also need to write a bunch of reviews of several other books I've completed in the last few weeks. [Note to self: Get with it!]

Still reading A.S. Byatt's Angels & Insects. I made my way through the first of the two novellas (Morpho Eugenia), and later today I'll be starting the second (The Conjugial Angel). This is not a terribly long book, but it seems to be taking me ages to finish. I had the same problem with Byatt's Possession. Maybe she's just not the writer for me.

Also still reading (theoretically, anyway) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. In reality, I've sort of shelved this one for a while. It never really grabbed my interest, so I'm letting it marinate a bit. Maybe it'll be more palatable later on.

And coming up for various challenges, these are the books I'll be reading in the next few weeks:
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Ignorance by Milan Kundera
Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
The Private Patient by P.D. James

At least that's the list for now. I might also throw in a cozy mystery somewhere along the line, too. So I've got lots to keep me busy. Guess I need to get back to my reading.

So, what are you reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. I have some books that are like that too. The book isn't long and I enjoy it, but for some reason my reading speed slows. Maybe it's the style of writing or the material. Whichever, I haven't a clue as to why that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Time Traveler's Wife at the end of last year and it took me some time to get into it, but eventually I couldn't put it down. Hopefully that happens for you when you pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great books to read. Have fun! My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Time Traveller's Wife on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to read it yet. Hopefully I will get to it later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way with certain books. You think it's not going to take very long to read it and it takes forever. I have The Time Traveler's Wife on my shelf also. I hope to read it soon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joy
    Thanks for leaving a comment about the blue willow plates. They evoke memories for so many people. I hope that long after I'm gone my kids and grandkids will think of me when they see blue and white china. Wow you sure are an avid reaader. Right now I am reading The Stillmeadow Road by Gladys Taber. I noticed you are planning to read something by Margaret Atwood. The second home we owned was a farm we bought from her in 1973. Her home was really untidy and quite dirty! She was famous in Canada then but hadn't got much worldwide recognition yet. Another Canadian author, Marion Engel lived in the first house we owned. She was renting it when we bought it.
    Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to join in the fun next week. Thanks Joy and J. Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dalgliesh is most intriguing. Did you ever watch the series on PBS or A&E? Thanks for stopping by and if you do read the Tea Shop mysteries, I would recommend starting at the beginning. It is not absolutely necessary but you might enjoy some of the character development.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.