Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Winter Reading Challenge: The Wrap-Up

It seems I've officially completed the Winter Reading Challenge, even though I still have most of the reviews to write. At the start, I said I was aiming for at least five books, since that's what I managed to read in last year's Challenge. As it turns out, I actually read twelve books during the three months the Challenge has been in progress. Here's what I read (I'll add more links to reviews as I get them posted in the next few days):

Drawers & Booths by Ara 13 [See Review]
Cover Her Face by P.D. James [See Review]
The Master by Colm Toibin
Rest In Pieces by Rita Mae Brown
Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner [See Review]
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
Index to Murder: A Miss Zukas Mystery by Jo Dereske
Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton [See Review]
The Great Victorian Collection by Brian Moore
Blasphemy by Douglas Preston
Angels & Insects: Two Novellas by A.S. Byatt

That's a really eclectic mix, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed all the books, although I struggled a bit with the Byatt and the Unsworth. Still had a good time reading them, though. Many of the titles were works I'd had on my TBR list for years, although a few were new finds. A couple were from series that I'd read in the past, and I discovered one new series (the Miss Zukas Mysteries) that I intend to dip into again in the future. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Wharton's The Age of Innocence, but The Master and The Great Victorian Collection would be tied for a close second-place.

So I did quite a bit better than last year. Now if I can just stay on track, I should just about reach my next big goal which is fifty books by year's end. Thanks so much to Robin of My Two Blessings for hosting, and to everyone else who took part and posted all those great reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I did not understand that I was supposed to link in for each review. It'll take me hours to do that! I'd better get on the stick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on reading all those books! I love seeing people's lists of read books.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.