Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Early Reviewers

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner (thanks, Wendi!). And this week's topic is about the Early Reviewer Program:
Were you aware of the Early Reviewer Program? Have you received any books from the program? If you have, how have you liked the book(s)? Any other thoughts on the LTER program?
Well, I might not be remembering correctly, but didn't the Tuesday Thingers group actually start up as an offshoot of the Early Reviewers discussion group at LT? Hmmmm. Not completely sure about that.

Anyway, yes, I've been aware of the ER program almost since I first signed up with LT. I didn't join right away because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get the books read on a timely basis, but after a couple of months of "lurking," I decided to jump in. Looking back over my book list, I see that I didn't receive any books the first couple of months after I joined. But after that, I was lucky five months in a row, April through August of last year. Since then, I haven't received any books. Well, technically I "snagged" a book in the November listing, but I never received it (How to Profit from the Coming Rapture – as far as I can tell, nobody received any copies of that one – I guess the Rapture wasn't as lucrative as they thought it would be).

And as for the books I've received through the program, I can honestly say that there really wasn't a stinker in the bunch. Well, maybe that Rapture book - who knows what I might have thought of that one. I've enjoyed reading all of them, and one (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) has joined my long list of all-time favorites.

Actually, I'm really a little leery of talking openly about Early Reviewers because I have this personal superstition that the more I say about it, the less likely I am ever to get another book. Yes, I know that's completely bonkers, and it all has to do with the mighty algorithm and what sorts of books I've got catalogued, and what sorts of books I've reviewed, and being in the right place at the right time, and sending cheese offerings to Abby, and all that; but I was never really known for my rationality.

--------------------
Addendum: OK, as I was writing this, I checked my LT account and discovered I've snagged a book from the February batch (Bleeding Heart Square, by Andrew Taylor). And I hadn't even sent in my cheese bribe yet. I'll never doubt the sacred algorithm again, I promise!

7 comments:

  1. I snagged a book this month too. And I've never done the whole cheese bribe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only received one book, but I continue to keep trying. You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I STILL have not received one book from LT, and I try each month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the win!! Thanks for visiting my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the Early Reviewers Program, to be honest. :) I have entirely too many books to review as it is, though, so that's okay.

    JM @ thebookstacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I the only person who did not get one in February? It seems that almost everyone that answered on Tuesday Thinger scored one this month..except me. The Bad Luck Mojo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol - Joy - you are wonderful. I might just have to try sending Abby a cheese offering as well! ;)

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week, we're taking a look at the section called LT Member Giveaways. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.