Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: Two for Today

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. And these are the rules: Grab your current read; Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given! Please avoid spoilers!

This week, I'm finishing up Douglas Preston's Blasphemy. Here's a quote from page 159 of the paperback edition:
He had always found it easier to go up against an intelligent adversary. Stupid people were unpredictable.
Well, I'm not sure I agree with that, but I am enjoying the book.

And since I'm starting Penelope Lively's Moon Tiger this week, I'll throw in a quote from that one as well. This snippet comes from page 45:
The trees are singing. They also make whooshing and hissing noises and eyes stare from their trunks, shapes of big cruel eyes at which you must not look or creatures might pounce out and get you – ghosts and witches and old men like the old man who sweeps the street outside Claudia's house in London.
Hmmmm. Not sure what's going on there, but it certainly sounds spooky, doesn't it? Not quite what I was expecting from Penelope Lively.

15 comments:

  1. He may be right about stupid people - it is certianly more fun matching wits with someone smart. Good teasers!

    My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Moon Tiger sounds great! Gotta check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can commiserate with the comment about stupid people, certainly. Who knows what they're thinking? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both teasers are great. I think I agree with the stupid people comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got two good ones going there. Hope you are enjoying both.

    -Margot @ Joyfully Retired

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like adversaries. Period. I'd rather be friends with everybody but that bubble bursts pretty early in life I guess.

    That second teaser reminds me of how active my imagination was as a little girl ... it seemed to kick into high gear as soon as the lights were out!

    Thanks for visiting my teaser today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stupid people ARE unpredictable.

    But I like to think of myself as unpredictable too. sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked that second one. Made me very curious. Good teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would like to embroider that on a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are interesting teasers Joy! I've never thought of intelligent people being easy to predict. . .

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both great teasers! Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is the Douglas Preston book? I recently finished Relic, my first Douglas Preston book, and I really liked it. Great teasers!
    http://nanscorner.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.