Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Teaser Tuesdays: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


This week my teaser lines come from one of the books I'm reading for the Pre-1960 Classic Children's Book Reading Challenge.  It's L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, first published in 1900.  Don't know why it's taken me so long to get around to this one -- especially since I love the movie so much. This snippet comes from Chapter 6 ("The Cowardly Lion"), right at the end:
The Tin Woodman knew very well he had no heart, and therefore he took great care never to be cruel or unkind to anything.
"You people with  hearts," he said, "have something to guide you, and need never do wrong...."
Yes, that sounds right, but oh, if it were just that simple!

Cover of the First Edition. Image by Wikipedia.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

7 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this one. I'll be looking forward to your review :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/01/teaser-tuesdays_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent teaser, Joy! My sisters and I read several of the books in this series when we were kids. My teaser: Murder by the Glass by Michele Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice! I remember buying it at Ann and Tom Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one, but have seen the movie, of course; and I collect Wizard of Oz figurines, among other things...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this either. Sounds like the characters are more in depth in the book.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my TBR pile. Penguin did a beautiful paperback edition last year that persuaded me to pick it up. I think it'll be neat to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.