Thursday, January 10, 2013

Booking Through Thursday: Gifts

This week Booking Through Thursday asks: "do you like to give books as gifts?"

I've always thought that books make wonderful gifts, but there are just so many problems involved:  Will the giftee have already read this one?  Is it the right genre?  Do they prefer fiction?  Nonfiction?  Paperbacks?  Hardcover?  Have they sworn off print-on-paper in favor of all e-books all the time?

I do give gift cards for books: from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or local book shops (or Borders before they went boom).  Especially for the children on my gift lists -- I think it's really more fun to let them choose the books for themselves, anyway.

So, while I do like to give books as gifts, I hardly ever do it.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of times at author events, I'll pick up an extra book if I think someone I know will like it. I love to give books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I do, too, Joy! I think you can't go wrong with a gift card. And it makes shopping so much easier!

    Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, gift cards are great :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/01/booking-through-thursday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give books to kids often, but adults can be trickier. I will give a book as a gift if I know they'll enjoy it, but it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only give physical books to my grandchildren, because I know what books they all ready have.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.