Thursday, January 31, 2013

Booking Through Thursday: On Loan



This week, BTT asks: "Do you lend your books? Are any out on loan right now? Do you have any that have been loaned to you? Do you put a time limit on these? Do you think people should make an effort to read the loaned book quickly?"

And I must say those questions are sending shivers down my spine. Lend my precious treasures?  Are you mad?

OK, just joking. Sort of.  Let me answer the last question first: Yes, of course, when you've borrowed a book (whether from a library or from another human entity), you should definitely make an effort to read the book quickly and return it as soon as possible.  That's only good manners, isn't it?

Do I lend books?  Yes, I do lend books, although there are some books I probably would think twice about handing over.  And there are some people I'd lend to more readily than others.  Don't think I'd ever try to enforce time limits, though -- that seems a little extreme (especially as I'm such a slow reader myself).

At the moment I don't have any books "out on loan," and I don't have any I've borrowed.  All the books around here belong to me (and the hubby, of course).  All mine, do you hear?  MINE!!!!

Not really related -- but this all reminds me a little of my childhood when I used to play librarian and lend out my books to my little cousin MB-B (she now has her very own blog) and force her to read them and return them on time.  And she really had to read them, too, because there was definitely going to be a quiz when she brought them back!

See -- I always had the soul of a librarian.

And maybe some wicked KGB genes.


4 comments:

  1. I do loan out books that I have already read. However, I draw the line with books I haven't read yet. I very seldom borrow books from the library now days. One of my dreams was someday to have my own personal library, and now that I am retired I did it, I have my own personal library, small, but It is all MINE... ; ) And now with the e-readers, I can have a load of books which I will probably never get read in my lifetime, but they are now mine.

    Loved your answer today, it brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thats so cute and awesome that you quizzed her! That's right, read those books!

    Manda C.
    My BTT: http://www.isolemnlyswear.com/2013/01/booking-through-thursday-lending-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a few people who are on my list for not returning books! I'm kind of kidding - if someone hasn't returned the last book I lent them, I don't think they should be borrowing another one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I love that you played librarian when you were younger. That one never occurred to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.