Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A-Z Wednesday: "J"

A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicki at Reading At The Beach. To join in, just visit her blog for the guidelines and leave your link in a comment.

This week's letter is "J." So I went to my shelves, and this is what I pulled out.



Juliet
Written by Anne Fortier
Published 2010


Description from the publisher:
Juliet, an ambitious, utterly engaging historical novel on the scale of The Thirteenth Tale and The Birth of Venus, follows a young woman who discovers that her family's origins reach all the way back to literature's greatest star-crossed lovers.

When Julie Jacobs inherits a key to a safety-deposit box in Siena, Italy, she is told it will lead her to an old family treasure. Soon she is launched on a winding and perilous journey into the history of her ancestor Giulietta, whose legendary love for a young man named Romeo rocked the foundations of medieval Siena. As Julie crosses paths with the descendants of the families involved in Shakespeare's unforgettable blood feud, she begins to realize that the notorious curse - "A plague on both your houses!" - is still at work, and that she is the next target. It seems that the only one who can save Julie from her fate is Romeo - but where is he?
See the book's page at Good Reads.

And the covers of a couple of other editions (the German and Dutch, I believe):


I just received an ARC of this one, and haven't started it yet. Apparently it's been causing quite a stir in the publishing world, so I'm eager to get to it. But it's gonna have to wait until I finish a couple of other books first.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, this does sound interesting. Where did you come across this book? I would like to read it. My wednesday is up at http://booknook516.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb's right! It does sound very interesting!

    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! The covers are all so different, but equally fabulous! Sounds like an intriguing tale.

    Here's mine:

    http://laurel-rain-outonalimb.blogspot.com/2010/04/z-wednesday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about this one--I loved The Thirteenth Tale but these sweeping novels are generally either really good or really bad. I have heard though that the publishing world is LOVING this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... and I love the German cover.

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/to-z-starts-with-j.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a wonderful, interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finding I don't really like historical readings.
    I like the bottom 2 covers, as opposed to the top one with the rose.
    But, I thank you for posting it.

    My `J` is up:
    http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/julie-of-wolves-by-jean-craighead.html

    I also have my `I` from last week up, finally:
    http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/if-god-is-so-good-why-do-i-hurt-so-bad.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely cover,would love to read this.info @tribute-books.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely sounds like an interesting book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is going on my TBR list after reading historical and The Thirteenth Tale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the ARC this week as well, and I'm drooling over the cover, I just love it that much!

    I just posted my review for Romancing Miss Bronte at The Crowded Leaf if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a fan of the Thirteenth Tale, I'm willing to check out anything that's compared to that book, which was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.