Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: A River in the Sky

This week, my teaser lines come from Elizabeth Peters' A River in the Sky. It's the latest (no. 19!) in her series of adventure novels about the Victorian archaeologist Amelia Peabody. This snippet is from page 214. The narrator is Amelia herself, but she's telling us how her husband Emerson (also an archaeologist) handles the crowd of men who have gathered round his precious dig in Palestine. If they pass beyond the ropes he's put up, he says:
". . . I will know and my curse will fall upon you. Your eyes will go dark and your ears will wither and fall off, and so will your --"
It was this last threat – which propriety prevents me from recording – that carried the greatest conviction.
Emerson's escapades in Egypt have earned him the title "Father of Curses," and apparently his reputation has preceded him!

I read an ARC of this (which is out this month, I believe), without having read any of the previous books in the series, so I didn't really know what to expect and came away having enjoyed it quite a lot (see my review).


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

14 comments:

  1. I read one of her books years ago and really enjoyed it. I need to pick up more. Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, now you only have 18 more to go if you decide to read the whole series. I don't know how authors can keep going with the same characters so long without losing some of the freshness. Have a good week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at this book the other day and then realized it was part of a series. Will be interested in your review as a reader of just this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser and an even better curse!

    My teaser is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very good and little creepy. What a great teaser :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting.

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/teaser_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser! I'll have to look this book up. My teasers are at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by the series concept, and it looks like my home library carries a few of the books. :) Seems like the author knows how to amuse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one made me laugh. I can't wait to start reading Amelia Peabody's books again. That's a biggg series.

    http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2010/04/tuesday-teasera-story-of-hope-she-rain.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely wondering what else will fall off??? Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great teaser! I loved it! Hope you will like mine too. It is from Love is Hell, the collection of short stories with a teaser for each one!

    http://emmamichaels.blogspot.com/2010/04/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, what a tease! It made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the dramatics of the cover and that is one teasy line :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.