Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Long Time No See

It's been a really long time since I checked in on the Sunday Salon. We're usually pretty busy around here on Sunday, and that doesn't leave me much time for blogging or blog reading. But today we've rescheduled all our errands and other business so that the hubby can stay home and spend the entire day watching the NBA playoffs. Well, maybe not the entire day – it'll just seem like the entire day. (Just kidding – I'll probably be watching, too.) But that does leave me with a little extra blogging/reading time, so I decided to see what's going on in TSS country.

Also time to do a little stock-taking. So far in 2010 I've read 17 books (see my list here). I know that doesn't sound like a lot to all you super readers out there who can get through two or three books a day. But for a slowpoke such as moi, that's doing pretty darn good – I'm averaging about a book a week, which should make it possible for me to reach my fifty book goal by the end of the year, or get very close.

Last week, I actually finished two books. A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters is the most recent addition (published this month, I believe) to her Amelia Peabody series, and a great adventure tale. I enjoyed it a lot even though I hadn't read any of the earlier books. Also finished reading An American Type, Henry Roth's posthumous novel due out in June. I received my ARC through Library Thing's Early Reviewer program, and I've put up a short review at LT; but I'll probably hold off a while on posting a blog review, until a little closer to the book's publication date.

If all goes well, I should be able to finish one of my current books today. I've been reading an ARC of Lisa Gardner's new D.D. Warren mystery, Live To Tell, and I've only got a few chapters to go. It's another one that's due out this summer, so I might hold off on that review, too. For now I'll just say it's packed with surprises, and I'm loving it.

The other book I've got going right now is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. One of the groups I follow at Good Reads selected it as one of their April group reads, and I thought I'd join in. It's something of a chunkster, though, and I'm only about a third of the way in – so I might have to sit myself down and just blast through it this week. Wouldn't mind doing that because (so far) it's a great story!

So, that's where I'm at in the land of lit-ra-chure. Now I'm off to see what everyone else is occupying themselves with today. Hope we all have a great Sunday, and get lots of reading done!

5 comments:

  1. First of all, 17 books is a great number! Then again, I'm a super-slow-poke. :) I loved Morton's House at Riverton, but haven't read The Forgotten Garden yet. I think I'v been putting it off because it IS a chuckster. I'm very excited about her new book coming out soon.

    This is also my first TSS post in a while and it's nice to be back! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you think of The Forgotten Garden - I've heard it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 17 book is plenty and I see one of them is The Anthologist, a book I really want to read. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished A Woman Called Sage. It's a historical fiction.

    Two you'd like are:
    The Unquiet Bones
    A Corpse at St. Andrew's Chapel

    They're both delightful medieval fictions with a surgeon as a protagonist.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.