Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: Noah's Compass

**Just to let you know: If you leave me a comment and it doesn't show up right away, it's not because I've rejected it or anything (I appreciate all your comments and I'm still getting them via email notifications). It's just that Blogger is apparently having major issues with comments lately. I've reported the problem and hope it clears up soon. If you're having problems, too, you can go to the Help Forum and add your report here.**

Wow, already July 6th! Time flies, huh? Hope everyone had a great 4th of July – didn't eat too many hot dogs, didn't collapse from heat stroke or get singed by errant fireworks sparks. Hope you got some reading done, too!

This week my teaser lines come from Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler. It's only the second book by Tyler I've read. I read The Accidental Tourist back in the '80s, but don't have much memory of it. However, I'm enjoying this one enormously. This quote comes from page 112, and has the book's protagonist Liam Pennywell thinking about his new friend (and potential love interest) Eunice:
People like Eunice just never had quite figured out how to get along in the world. They might be perfectly intelligent, but they were subject to speckles and flushes; their purses resembled wastepaper baskets; they stepped on their own skirts.
I can totally identify with Eunice.


How about you? Got a great teaser from a book you're reading right now? Want to play along? Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

31 comments:

  1. She sounds like a mess, but an interesting mess. Good teaser, makes me want to read the book.

    Here's my Teaser
    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting teaser!! My TT is here
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved this book! (And An Accidental Tourist, but I recall that mostly because I also have the movie and watch it periodically).

    Anne Tyler has a way of really zeroing in on the quirkiness in characters. I love that!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds like a great read. I've been craving some emotional reading food lately. I'll have to add this one to my TBR list. That's one of the great things about the TT postings, my list gets longer and longer.

    Here's my lines from my latest:

    http://composingcat.blogspot.com/2010/07/tuesday-teaser.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really identify. Love Anne Tyler. Must read Noah's Compass.

    http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2010/07/tuesday-teaser-july06-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds beautifully written!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/07/teaser.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha sounds cute! I'll be looking for your review. My teaser is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe I even have an Anne Tyler book somewhere...That's terrible that I don't even know for sure! By the way, I can identify with Eunice as well! Enjoy your book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thoughtful teaser, I like the style of writing.

    My TT

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/teaser-tuesday-note-from-old.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Tuesday! I just love this meme! I get to see so many great books. Have a great week, happy reading. Stop by at The Wormhole to see mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an interesting read. I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving you teaser! Hope you will also check out My Teaser. Also wanted to give you a heads up about my amazing news that my debut novel is being released Friday the 13th this August. Hope you will check out the announcement or my second tab.

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this a few months back and really enjoyed. Good teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this teaser! I can also relate to Eunice. I'll have to check out this book sometime! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely have friends like Eunice. Thankfully I've outgrown my blushes (mostly). Nice teaser! And thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been seeing this book a lot lately. Putting it on my wish list!
    Nice teaser,
    Natalie

    Have a great week ---

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some people just never get the hang of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this very descriptive teaser, great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Opps! This is why I LOVE my editor. *your

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant but absentminded; one of my favorite character types. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting teaser, I think I need to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eunice sounds like a very likable character. Good Teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good teaser, Joy. I haven't read an Anne Tyler in years, but liked the few I've read previously. This is one I've considered picking up.

    My post: Sugar Creek

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent teaser and Eunice is like so many of us isn't she??

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just brought this one home from the library today! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the VERY NICE teaser. I've added this to my TBR-- thanks for introducing me to this fine book. I'd like to know how you think of it! (*following now)

    My TT: http://wordsonpaperya.blogspot.com/2010/07/teaser-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a great Teaser :) Thanks for coming by my blog! I love how you set up for the teaser as well, and created the scene. I will have to get this book now.

    Reads Everything, reviews some

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an interesting teaser! I found Eunice really fascinating, just based on that. Must check out the book.

    You know our Teaser was here...

    ReplyDelete
  29. haha love it - and I only vageuly remember the movie The accidental Tourist but it was a good one! Great teaser :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great teaser, eunice is prepared for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice teaser. I can see some of me in Eunice, too, just from that description.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.