Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A-Z Wednesday: "H"

A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicki at Reading At The Beach. To join in, just visit her blog for the guidelines and leave your link in a comment.

This week's letter is "H." So I went to my shelves, and this is what I pulled out.


Heresy
Written by S.J. Parris
Published 2009, 2010


Description from the book's page at Amazon.com:
Set in 1583 against a backdrop of religious-political intrigue and barbaric judicial reprisals, Parris's compelling debut centers on real-life Giordano Bruno, a former Italian monk excommunicated by the Roman Catholic church and hunted across Europe by the Inquisition for his belief in a heliocentric infinite universe. Befriended by the charismatic English courtier and soldier Sir Philip Sidney, the ambitious Bruno flees to more tolerant Protestant England, where Elizabeth I's secretary of state, Sir Francis Walsingham, recruits him to spy, under the cover of philosophical disputation, on secretly Catholic Oxford scholars suspected of plotting treason. As one Oxford fellow after another falls to gruesome homicide, Bruno struggles to unravel Oxford's tangled loyalties. Parris (the pseudonym of British journalist Stephanie Merritt) interweaves historical fact with psychological insight as Bruno, a humanist dangerously ahead of his time, begins his quest to light the fire of enlightenment in Europe.
See the book's page at Good Reads here.

I just finished reading an ARC of this one, although I believe it was released in the US in February. Hope to get my review up later today, or tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. I have this one on my shelf. I'll be interested in seeing what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in this. Can't wait to see what you thought about it. I will have to hunt it down.

    Mine is here: http://booknook516.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic!!!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/to-z-starts-with-h.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is also on my TBR. Looking forward to your review :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.