Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A-Z Wednesday: "E"

A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicki at Reading At The Beach, and here are the guidelines:
To join, here's all you have to do:

Go to your stack of books and find one whose title starts with the letter of the week.
Post:

1~ a photo of the book
2~ title and synopsis
3~ link(Amazon, Barnes and Noble etc.)
4~ Return to the host's blog and leave your link in the comments.
************
This week's letter for A-Z Wednesday is "E." So I went to my shelves, and this is what I pulled out.

Edwin Mullhouse: The Life and Death of an American Writer 1943-1954 by Jeffrey Cartwright, by Steven Millhauser (1972)

1. Description from GoodReads:
Edwin Mullhouse, a novelist at 10, is mysteriously dead at 11. As a memorial, Edwin's best friend, Jeffrey Cartwright, decides that the life of this great American writer must be told. He follows Edwin's development from his pre-verbal first noises through his love for comic books to the fulfillment of his literary genius in the remarkable novel, Cartoons.
2. The book's page at LibraryThing here.

3. The cover from a recent reissue:


4. And the original cover, from my old 1972 edition:

This is one of the very few books for which I am a complete evangelist. The basic bones description above doesn't even hint at the extraordinary richness of Millhauser's novel. Everyone should read it.

13 comments:

  1. Great choice~ Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds quite interesting. Here is my "E" book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of it, i'll see if i can find it in my book shop

    Here's mine
    http://snowbelljewelry.blogspot.com/2010/03/z-wednesday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This sounds like a fabulous find!

    I must explore this further.

    Here's mine:

    http://weboftyranny.blogspot.com/2010/03/z-wednesday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your visit and comment, Joy. I wish you a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ihas caught my attention! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting...but poor child to die so early.

    My `E` is here: http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/encyclopedia-of-ancient-worldusborne.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this one. Sounds like it could be a touching one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting choice!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/to-z-starts-with-e.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. The original cover looks pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen this meme, I'm going to start playing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.