Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: The Hypnotist

This week my teaser lines come from The Hypnotist by M.J. Rose, the third novel in her Reincarnationist series. I'm enjoying the book quite a lot (more than I expected to, actually), even though I haven't read either of the earlier books. It reminds me just a teensy bit of the Aloysius Diogenes series by Preston and Child - although it's quite different from those books, it does have some of the same flavor.

This excerpt (more than two lines again - sorry) comes from page 93, and has the protagonist, Lucian Glass, remembering his lost love Solange, back when they were two young aspiring artists twenty-some years ago:
She had been self-conscious about the scar and made up different stories about how she'd gotten it. From a vicious babysitter with a knife when she was five. From a French poodle that had leaped up and taken a bite out of her when she was still a baby. . . . From the devil, signaling she'd sold him her soul so she could paint better.
The scar mentioned in the quote was a "strange, pale crescent-moon shaped mark above her right eyebrow," and I have a feeling it's going to become significant later in the book. Something connected with a past life? Or maybe not. Just have to wait and see.


How about you? Got a great teaser from a book you're reading right now? Want to play along? Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

23 comments:

  1. That's a good teaser - linking the scar with her art and future! Here;s mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! Thanks for visiting my TT. Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some wildly different reasons for a scar...and you're right, it sounds like foreshadowing! Great teaser.

    If you'd like, you can check out mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely teaser. This book is on my shelf waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an intriguing plot device. It's really effective. I've got to try it some time. Not necessarily with a scar, but with the obfuscation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'll have to check this series out. Great teaser!

    My teaser is here.


    Happy reading. :)

    xx,
    E.J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series looks so interesting. Great teaser! Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser. Sounds like an intriguing read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! This book looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely teased! I will have to come back and read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Makes me think of "The Dark Knight", and the Joker's many various stories about how he got his scars.

    I spotted my teaser as soon as I began reading my book!

    http://thisweekatthelibrary.blogspot.com/2010/05/teaser-tuesday-255.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds good! New author for me, but will check out the book.
    HERE is my teaser for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that! I've had my eye on this book for a while! Thanks for stopping by Let Them Read Books today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh nice teaser, I want to read this one and was wondering if I had to read the series in order.

    Here is mine

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/05/teaser-review-of-out-of-my-mind-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one.. definitely the scar will be a significant part of your read

    Here is mine
    http://readingbetweenpages.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/teaser-tuesday-may-25-2010/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the The Reincarnatist. In the middle of The Memorist. I think I will pick this up too.

    Teaser Tuesdays: The Cold Room by J T Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice teaser. Solange certainly has very fertile imagination.

    Here's mine : http://thebooksofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/05/teaser-tuesdays-may-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful teaser! Now I am curious to know the truth behind Solange's mysterious scar.

    My teaser is from Perchance to Dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, great teaser! I'll add this one on my tbrlist! I like the way it sounds! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol, I was just about to ask you if you'd read the other two and saw that you didn't. I'm curious about them. Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The babysitter story sounds like a good one to go with!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.