Sunday, December 28, 2008

Short Story Reading Challenge Completed

The Short Story Reading Challenge, hosted by Kate at Kate's Book Blog, is coming to an end this month, so I thought I should post my wrap-up. I didn't do as well with this challenge as I'd hoped. Even though I chose the "custom option" and didn't really have any set number of books to read, I had intended to get through at least three volumes of stories, but only managed two.

I concentrated on ghost stories, and read The Penguin Complete Ghost Stories of M.R. James [see review], and My Fantoms, by Theophile Gautier [see review]. The M.R. James book was one I'd had on my TBR list for many years, and the Gautier collection was an ARC I received through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. I enjoyed both of them – well, I've always loved a good ghost story. Or even a bad ghost story, for that matter.

And while I wasn't as successful as I'd like to have been, it was one of my favorite challenges of the year. Thanks to Kate for hosting, and to all the other participants for their great reviews and recommendations.

1 comment:

  1. Reading short stories is something that I would like to do this year. I've been looking at some different ones but not really sure where to start? I'm going to check out the ones that you listed.

    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.