Thursday, February 14, 2008

After the Honeymoon (BTT)



Booking Through Thursday - today's topic:

Here’s something for Valentine’s Day.
Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?

Well, if I really fall in love with an author, I'm usually theirs for life. But occasionally I can become less infatuated than I was at the beginning of our relationship. If this happens, it's usually when I'm reading works in a series. One author I can think of is Patricia Wentworth, author of the "Miss Maud Silver" mysteries: I read half a dozen or so of the books, over about a year back in the 1990s. I loved them at first, but by the fifth or sixth book, they were getting very same-ish, so Miss Silver and Miss Wentworth and I parted company. But that doesn't mean I'll never return to the series.

I notice at least one other responder mentioned Maeve Binchy, and I had a similar experience. I discovered Binchy's short stories in England one summer and read a couple of collections – Victoria Line and Central Line. They were absolutely sparkling – witty, unpredictable, and sometimes emotionally devastating. I quickly put her on my favorite new author list, and I was looking forward to reading her novels. But when I tried one of her longer works, it seemed so formulaic – just a run-of-the-mill romance novel. It was hard to believe the novel had been written by the same person who had produced the stories. I had to abandon it mid-way and I've never gone back. Maybe it's time I gave Maeve another chance, hmmmm?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...identical twin cousin thing again -- Brianna brought me "Victoria Line, Central Line" from England! Loved it. However, there were a couple of Binchy books I just couldn't get through. Maybe I should try again -- after "London".

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.