Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: A Fair Maiden

This week, my teaser lines come from A Fair Maiden by Joyce Carol Oates. The dust jacket blurb calls it "an unsettling, ambiguous tale of mounting suspense and gradually unfolding horror." Well, so far I'm enjoying it a lot, and haven't noticed any horror unfolding yet. But it is quite suspenseful. In this snippet, sixteen-year-old Katya is just meeting sixty-eight-year-old Marcus Kidder for the first time:
He appeared to be of an age far beyond that of Katya's father, yet she couldn't believe that he was her grandfather's age: that terrifying limbo of free fall when specific ages become, to the young, beside the point. To the young there are no meaningful degrees of old, as there are no degrees of dead: either you are, or you are not. [pp.5-6]
Well, for me there are definite degrees of old, but then it's been a long time since anyone would have accused me of being among the young.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

14 comments:

  1. Oates should be a good read. Challenging teaser.

    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's true. Oates is not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this book at the library yesterday but my book bag was overflowing.

    That first time you're put into the "older" group is tough! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. Sounds good. I've never read anything by Oates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this title recently...this one sounds like a great JCO read!

    Here's my teaser:

    http://rainysnowday.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/teaser-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! I really like to cover too!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/teaser_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the teaser! It's the kind that kind of makes you want to gnash your teeth, if you're way too far beyond sixteen years old.

    My own teaser is at Bookishgal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2nd time i've seen this book! Its calling out to me :)
    Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the Goodreads link I added to my list it just sounds really interesting from the teaser...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah the delights of categorization - and especially when you find you're completely wrong in your pigeon holing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been reading quite a bit of Oates this year - sounds like another good one!

    My teaser's at http://hampshireflyer.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/teaser-tuesday-9/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting teaser! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.