One challenge that I'm definitely joining is the 2009 TBR Challenge *Lite* ("For those who love the original TBR Challenge, but need a little less 'pressure' on their reading"). It starts January 1 and runs through December 31, 2009. There are three different levels of participation:
OPTION A: read 6 books in 12 months ~ your list of books CANNOT be changed, but you are allowed to have an “Alternates” list to choose from (like in the Original TBR Challenge).
OPTION B: read 6 books in 12 months ~ you CAN change your reading list throughout the year.
OPTION C: make up a list of however many books you think you could get read in 12 months, as long as they are from your TBR stack/list, and then read them between January 1st and December 31st. You must have at least 3 books on your list.
And the other general guidelines are these:
- You are allowed to overlap with other challenges
- Audiobooks are allowed
- e-Books are allowed, but must still be books that you’ve wanted to read for at least 3, or more, months
- You should still have a list of books posted somewhere for others to see
- You don’t have to read your books in the order you put them on your list
I'm choosing Option B (6 books in 12 months) – I think that's the safest choice for me. I'm sure I'll be reading at least six books next year, and with Option B, I can make changes if I need to. Here's my list (at least for now):
- Cover Her Face. P.D. James
- Mortal Love. Elizabeth Hand
- Our Kind. Kate Walbert
- The Art of Mending. Elizabeth Berg
- The Inn at Lake Devine. Elinor Lipman
- The Time Traveler's Wife. Audrey Niffenegger
There's also a Yahoo Group for this challenge. To sign up, visit the challenge announcement page here, and leave a comment.