Saturday, February 02, 2008

Yet Another Challenge!

I know I probably shouldn't do it, but this one looks like so much fun. Dewey (The Hidden Side of a Leaf) is hosting the Man Booker Challenge:

"To participate in the Man Booker Challenge, you just choose 6 books that have won the Man Booker Prize, or have been shortlisted or longlisted. They can be from any year. The challenge will run from January to December 2008. . . . You may overlap with other challenges. You may change the books on your list at any time."

There's a list of all the prize winners and some of the short and long lists since 1969 at The Booker Prize Archive. So many of these are books and authors I've been meaning to read, it seems like a challenge that was dreamed up with me in mind. I even find that most of the books I'll be reading are already in my library – obviously just waiting for the Man Booker Challenge to come along and give me a nudge.

Here's my list of six books (subject to change, of course):

Chatterton, by Peter Ackroyd (short-listed, 1987) [See Review]
Hotel du Lac, by Anita Brookner (winner, 1984)
The Master, by Colm Toibin (short-listed, 2004)
The Old Devils, by Kingsley Amis (winner, 1986)
The Road to Lichfield, by Penelope Lively (short-listed, 1977)
Saturday, by Ian McEwan (long-listed, 2005)

My husband thinks these challenges are crazy. But they're keeping me reading, so I'm a believer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you'll be joining us! I've read one of your books, Saturday, and loved it. I hope your other choices are as good.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.