Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays: Coraline

This is very embarrassing to admit, but I'm still reading the same books I've been reading all month. For some reason, March has been a really slow month for me, at least where literary matters are concerned. And I've already used all the books I'm currently reading for past teasers. What to do?

Well, while I was going through my shelves yesterday, looking for a fantasy I might read for the Once Upon a Time V Challenge (more to come about that), I happened upon a copy of Neil Gaiman's Coraline. I read the book a couple of years ago, so I won't be reading it for the challenge; but I thought it might provide some nice teaser lines - and I was right. This snippet comes from p.93 of the paperback edition, and has Coraline trying to bargain with the "other mother" she meets when she enters the "other" house hidden inside the house she shared with her real parents (who have gone mysteriously missing). I apologize for including more than two lines, but it was hard to know what to cut:
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
This is one I really enjoyed. It's creepy and funny, and all-in-all a great read. Short, too - which is something I always appreciate!


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

9 comments:

  1. Very good teaser. I will check it out. Looking at all those teassers only makes my tbr pile longer! So many books, so less time to read, so less space to keep!

    Here is my Teaser Tuesday: Out At Night by Susan Arnout Smith post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was a great creepy teaser. I have never seen this book before, but it sounds really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous teaser! I loved Coraline. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. I was going to read this but never got around to it. The movie previews totally creeped my daughter out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creepy and lovely teaser!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! I love this book and movie! :D

    Here's mine:
    http://www.bookmarkyourthoughts.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-march-22nd-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! Morbid but fun. I guess being dead wasn't all mom wanted out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to see the movie after you finish the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, I haven't read the GN but I've seen the movie. It's quit creepy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.