Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Once Upon A Time V

Once upon a time...


...there was this reading challenge that I just couldn't seem to resist! Even though I've already signed up for way too many reading challenges this year. And even though I don't have as much time for reading as I used to. And even though I already love to read fantasy and folklore and mythical fiction, which means the challenge isn't all that much of a challenge for me.

Yes, it's spring and that means it's time for another edition of the Once Upon a Time Reading Challenge (this is number V), hosted by Carl V., over at Stainless Steel Droppings. One of my favorite blogs, and one of my favorite bloggers hosting one of my favorite events. How neat is that?

I didn't participate in last year's OUAT Challenge, and I regretted it all spring. So this year I'm jumping in, even though my head tells me I really shouldn't be taking on any more reading commitments. After all, how can you resist a challenge whose first two rules are: "HAVE FUN"?!

The challenge runs from March 21st through June 20th, and you can read all about the particulars on the announcement/sign-up post, here. There are several different levels of participation (or "Quests"). I had a really hard time deciding which one to choose, but I think finally I'm going to have to go with level number one, The Journey.

As Carl says, "This is really as simple as the name implies. It means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books. By signing up for The Journey you are agreeing to read at least one book within one of the four categories during March 21st to June 20th period." And that sounds doable, even for a slowpoke reader like myself. Of course, I'll be aiming for more than one; and I've got a list of possibilities a mile long, so there's plenty of incentive. Who knows - this might actually be the year I tackle one of those chunkster fantasies that have been on my TBR stack for years now. Like The Mists of Avalon or Inkheart.

This year's challenge also includes a "Quest on Screen" - for all those movies and TV shows that fall within the realm of fantasy, fairy tales, folklore or mythology. Can't pass that up either, so I'm taking up that Quest, too.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck getting things read! The Mists of Avalon and Inkheart are both good reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you decided to jump back in this year. And The Journey sounds like the perfect place to start. No hassle, no pressure, no worries! Just the way reading should be.

    I'm excited about watching some challenge related stuff as well. Its been long enough since I've seen Pan's Labyrinth that I must watch it again. Also cannot wait for the new Pirates movie. And the Game of Thrones series. That looks like it is going to be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read INkheart and loved it but I also have Mists..heh..I have way too many books to read! I hope you enjoy OUaT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed on for The Journey too. Easy-Peasy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.