Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Get Away From Me With That Glue!

This week's topic for the Tuesday Thingers group is about Glue! – the new social networking site. (Good work, Wendi!) Lately, I've been seeing the Get Glue! ads, but hadn't stopped to investigate – so I was curious and took a look at their website. And now that I know a little bit more about Glue!, I have the following thoughts.

You cannot be serious!!!

Let me get this straight. There's actually a whole organization out there that thinks I'll want them to stalk me around the Internet, and watch my every cyber move? And then broadcast it to a lot of people I don't know? Am I the only one who finds this more than a little terrifying?

I would probably pay a hefty fee to have them NOT do that!

OK, I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to most of the "new technology" these days. And I'm not enthusiastic about laying out my private life all over the worldwide web – that's probably the main reason I've never really taken to Twitter. But this one seems annoying at best, and at worst downright dangerous. Somebody please explain why I would want to get myself involved in something like this. And please, please tell me it's something I'd have to "opt into" – because if given a choice I'd definitely opt OUT.

Oops! Sorry if I'm ranting here, but this just sounds like a really, really bad idea to me and I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to be in favor of it.

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner. If you'd like to see more or participate yourself, head on over to her blog and leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. (But then I would be wouldn't I?) Anyway, this reminds me of that Dr. Who episode where everyone has these phones plugged into their ears, and suddenly the Cybermen or something like that takes over the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhh...I think I will steal you idea and start a company that promises NOT to do that.
    I will be rich!

    As my post attest, I totally agree with your point of view. I think a number of people have join for no better reason than to try and win a prize. How cheap we will sell our privacy.

    Creepy, that is what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, thanks for sharing how you interpret Glue after checking out the homepage.

    It sounds like we have to review our messaging and clear up how we present the service!

    To clarify, Glue does not track your browsing habits and share them with everyone.

    Glue is active on popular sites about books, movies and other everyday things. When you, say, look at a book on Powells you can see which of your friends like the book - even if they liked the book while visiting IndieBound or other popular book sites.

    On all other sites Glue is completely inactive and no information is shared with anyone.

    You can easily protect your presence within Glue and only approved friends can see the books that you like.

    In many respects it's similar to Facebook or book social networks like LibraryThing -- it connects you to friends around the books that you like.

    There are a few major differences, which probably add to the misperceptions.

    Glue appears on popular pages around the web and Glue is object based rather than website specific.

    So, if your friend uses Shelfari and you use LibraryThing you'll never be connected, unless you both use Glue.

    There are many people who love Glue, including some familiar faces in the book blogging world. You can read what some of them have to say here: http://bit.ly/GlueForBlogs

    Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

    Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  4. mlh--
    Yes, I thought about that, too. But, more and more, I'm afraid that's the way we're headed. Better start looking for a nice new planet to colonize.

    caite--
    When you start your company, I'll be your first subscriber!

    Fraser--
    Thanks for the clarification. Still think it's just not my cuppa. But then, I've always been more of a blogger than a social networker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never looked that closely at it, but I am wary of joining a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.