Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Twittering (A Day Late)

Yes, I know it's not Tuesday anymore. Well, not around here anyway. So I guess I'm a Wednesday Thinger this week. And the topic was:

Do you Tweet? If so, what do you like best about Twitter? What do you like the least? Do you have any Twitter applications or extras that you use frequently (TweetDeck, TwitterFeed, etc)? Do you belong to any of the Twitter groups on LT?

Actually, I don't tweet. I do have a Twitter account, but I don't tweet. I've got a lot of people and publishers that I'm following, but I don't tweet. Every now and then, I'll take a look at my Twitter account just to see what's going on, but I think I've only posted about three or four tweets in the whole time I've been there.

I think Twitter is a really interesting social phenomenon. But it just makes me feel inadequate and inactive. So many people doing so many interesting things, and also having the time and skill to tweet about it at the same time!

I sort of stopped all my Twitter / Facebook / MySpace activity when I realized I was reduced to posting things like "Joy is going to take a nap now." If you can't come up with anything more interesting than that, you really don't need to be broadcasting updates all over the internet.

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner. If you'd like to see more or participate yourself, head on over to her blog and leave a comment.

10 comments:

  1. I seem to be using it as a venue to bitch about the weather. I like facebook pretty well but twitter, not so much. I am more of a lurker there. I deleted my myspace account because all of my contacts just sort of went away. At least I think I deleted it -- I tried three times and it just wouldn't go away so, if it is still active, I am actively ignoring it. So, if you want to find me on a social network, it would be facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I think so much alike that I think we're siblings! I've started MySpace and Facebook just to keep in touch with the grandchildren. (It wasn't as successful as I'd hoped.) I've abandoned MySpace and only go on FB when my email tells me I have a message. I have not begun (nor will I) to Twitter. I just don't think that I'm that interesting, and I KNOW that I'm not interested in finding out every detail about anyone I know! (sounds grumpy, doesn't it?)

    What's wrong with email? Telephone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes lurk on twitter too - I'm rarely doing anything particularly interesting. It's fun to have conversations though, and since I use it mostly to talk to people I wouldn't call in real life, plus discuss books, I think it's perfect. Facebook does keep me in touch with my real life friends, which is great when I'm in another country.

    I really dislike myspace though. Everyone I know has abandoned it and I don't seem to be able to delete my profile.

    - Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't twitter, have a facebook or myspace account...so how about that! lol
    I just don't want to get started on another network that is going to start consuming my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I love Twitter. It is totally addictive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I signed up for Twitter too, but have yet to use it all to follow or to tweet. I'm afraid if I start it will just be one more thing to suck time out of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of the same way...I have a Twitter account, My Space and Facebook but I'm not really active on them. I just don't have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I've never facebooked, my spaced or twittered. I thought about facebook, but when my kids (in college) said they would not be friending me, it sort of lost it's appeal. I'm also afraid any updates from me would closely resemble your napping comment. Who wants to hear "Lori is vacuuming now." Additionally, I don't need another drain on my time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to sign up for Twitter. I have a Myspace and Facebook account but find that I rarely log in any more. I think it was fun in college when I had a ton of extra time but nowadays with work and real life I don't have the time for any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joy - your post made me chuckle. I sort of feel the same. I am not on Twitter very often, because I so rarely have anything of value to share. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.