Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Non-finishers

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner. If you'd like to see more or participate yourself, head on over to her blog and leave a comment. And this week's topic is about all those books you just can't manage to wade through:

How often do you find yourself struggling through a book (if you HAD to estimate)? How far will you read before you stop and consider it a DNF (Did not finish)? Will you skim ahead and see if it gets any better? Once you put it down, do you still write a quick review? What do you do with the book when you are done?

Well, generally I try to find out as much about a book as I can before I start reading it, so most of the books I begin I also finish. However, once in a while I'll inevitably pick up something that turns out to be not what I was expecting or hoping. And in those cases, I think it's best just to move on to something new.

It usually only takes a chapter or two (occasionally, not even that much) for me to decide whether or not a book is for me. But sometimes, before completely abandoning a book, I do skim ahead to see if any of it is more to my liking, or to find out how the book ends (good to know, even if I don't like the way it gets there). And although I might mention that I tried a book and didn't care for it, I don't think I've ever written a full review of a book I haven't read in its entirety – that would be too much like cheating on an exam. Of course, that means that now and then I'll have to read something that doesn't appeal to me – a book I wouldn't ordinarily have finished. Unfortunately, that's happened to me twice lately – both of my most recent Early Reviewer books from Library Thing were books I probably wouldn't have finished if I hadn't felt obligated to review them. And in one case, I was glad I finished the book because it turned out to be better than I'd expected when I started it. So maybe there's something to be said for sticking it out, no matter what your literary taste buds may be signaling.

And as for what I do with the books I don't finish – well, that's a good (though embarrassing) question. I'd like to say I don't keep them; that I donate them or give them to friends who might find them more palatable. Or swap them for other books. But in reality I have to admit that when a book comes into my custody it's usually mine for life! Like it or not. One of these days, I'm definitely going to have to do something about that – before rescue workers have to break down the door to my apartment and dig through the piles of paperbacks that have toppled over and buried me alive!

9 comments:

  1. I usually choose what I'm reading very carefully and only choose books that I'm interested in. That's probably one reason I rarely read a book that I don't like. Although, as you said, once in awhile there will be something you weren't expecting. It's bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've gotten better at choosing books that are a good fit for me, so I rarely come across one that I can't finish anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I am actually pretty good about getting rid of books I know I won't read or have read already - but the apt is still overflowing with books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! My bookshelf is bowing under the weight of my books too. It's so hard to give them up even if you didn't like them LOL

    http://unadorned-book.blogspot.com/2009/06/tuesday-thingers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really trying hard to emulate your habit of researching books before I buy -- I have a real tendency to just buy what appeals to me at the moment and then I have a lot of books that really aren't to my liking. Like you, they become part of me forever and I am carrying a lot of baggage right now -- if you find the solution, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to read the first chapter of books before I commit to them. Amazon.com sometimes has a link to where you are able to read a little preview of books. I usually can tell whether the book is going to grab me or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to choose my books carefully, but have been known to pick a few that weren't what I thought they would be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very much like you in going the extra mile to find out if a book is for me. That way it avoids abandoning it half way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 50 page rule. Unless it is a review or book club book.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.