Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Finds: 12 June 2009

Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by mizb17 at Should Be Reading. Participants are asked to share with other bloggers about the new-to-you books found during the week – books you either want to add to your TBR (to be read) list, or that you just heard about that sounded interesting.

This week I have half a dozen new finds. They all look really interesting, and I imagine several of them will be going on my TBR list. Well, the ones I haven't already read, anyway.

The Condition, by Jennifer Haigh
The Shimmer, by David Morrell
Summer House, by Nancy Thayer
The Wildwater Walking Club, by Claire Cook
Duchess of Death, by Richard Hack
The Longshot, by Katie Kitamura

The first four are being featured in BookReporter.com's weekly "Beach Bag of Books" contests. I believe Summer House is in this week's batch; the others are all coming up in July or August. I discovered Duchess of Death, Richard Hack's new biography of Agatha Christie, while browsing the June selections in LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program.

Katie Kitamura's The Longshot was an ARC and something of a surprise when I received it. Didn't really look like anything I'd choose to read, but after the first page I was hooked and rapidly made my way through it in one sitting. Very unusual for me. I'll try to get a review up later today, but for right now I'll just say it was truly extraordinary.

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, Duchess of Death looks really good! Really, really good. Good find. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED The Condition! Hope you do too. How do you get that nice cluster photo to post of your finds? Looks great...I'm photo challenged sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some great looking books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Long Shot sounds great, looking forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kaye, Duchess of Death is a great find! I scanned the titles of the Early Reviewer books but I missed that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these look interesting, I'll have to check them out. Good finds!

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm expecting a review copy of Summer House any day now.

    They're all great titles and I've read some good reviews for a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look pretty good. I'll wait to hear what you think about them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These all look really good. More books to put on my already toppling pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Wildwater Walking Club is going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Condition has been on my wishlist for a while. Nice Finds! Here are my finds: (1) and (2)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read The Condition and thought it was ok. Summer HOuse I really want to read as well.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.