Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Teaser Tuesdays: Picnic at Hanging Rock

This week my teaser lines come from Joan Lindsay's 1967 novel Picnic at Hanging Rock. I'm reading it for the Aussie Authors Reading Challenge and just got it from the library today, so I haven't gotten very far. The book tells the story of the mysterious disappearance of three schoolgirls and their teacher during a picnic in Australia in 1900. This snippet comes from the end of the third chapter, where the mystery is just beginning:
The awful silence closed in and Edith began, quite loudly now, to scream. If her terrified cries had been heard by anyone but a wallaby squatting in a clump of bracken a few feet away, the picnic at Hanging Rock might yet have been just another picnic on a summer's day. Nobody did hear them.... (p.34)
This is a short book and I have a feeling I'll be putting aside all my other reads until I finish this one.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

8 comments:

  1. Yikes! totally creepy. I'm loving the cover for this. Very neat. Thanks for the teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's incredibly creepy. Also makes me want to read this.

    ~ Popin
    You can read my teaser here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading a vintage book once in a while. Is this one based on a real life situation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this one sounds scary-good! Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear goodness! That's quite frightening. Nice teaser!

    If you'd like, you can check out mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I hope the wallaby manages to tell someone in its wallabyish fashion..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great teaser! I love teaser tuesdays so much. I always add so many books to my TBR pile...

    Here is my Teaser Tuesday: Room by Emma Donoghue post!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.