Monday, May 11, 2009

Southern Reading Challenge 2009

Now how could I pass this up? I've lived in the South most of my life, and always enjoyed reading its literature. Besides, who could ignore that gorgeous button?

The Southern Reading Challenge runs from May 15th to August 15th, and is being hosted (as it was last year) by Maggie of Maggie Reads. The goal is to read at least three books during that time, and they can be any genre or style, just as long as they have something to do with the American South. The challenge announcement page has all the rules, as well as links to several lists of books, if you need ideas for reading material. So if you've got a hankerin' to get back to the magnolias and the mint juleps (and you know what it means to miss New Orleans), head on over and sign up.

For my three books, I'll probably read The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty, Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons, and Victory Over Japan by Ellen Gilchrist. Then, if I have time left over (she said, laughing insanely), I might choose one from this list:

Lunch at the Piccadilly by Clyde Edgerton
The Floatplane Notebooks by Clyde Edgerton
To Dance With the White Dog by Terry Kay
Pale Horse, Pale Rider by Katherine Anne Porter
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross
Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty

And the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries by Rita Mae Brown, set in southern Virginia, are also possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. Delta Wedding is my favorite Welty.

    I'm about halfway through Losing Battles; I ought to commit to finishing it this summer during the challenge.

    Happy reading to you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.