Sunday, January 27, 2008

Young Readers Challenge: Update

Well, I think I've finally come up with my list of books for the Young Readers Challenge. There are so many children's books I've always meant to read, and so many interesting new ones coming out all the time, that it's been a challenge just putting together a workable list.

Of course, the list is subject to change. And I don't have a theme or anything; but there's a lot of fantasy represented, and several of the books have been Newbery or Caldecott medal winners or honor books. And I notice that I've included at least one book from each decade from 1920 to 1980, although that wasn't planned.

These are the twelve titles I'll definitely be reading (I think).

A Wrinkle in Time. Madeleine L'Engle (1962; ages 9-12; Newbery Medal winner 1963)
Betsy-Tacy. Maud Hart Lovelace (1940; ages 9-12) [See Review]
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. E.L. Konigsburg (1967; ages 9-12; Newbery Medal winner, 1968) [See Review]
Gone-Away Lake. Elizabeth Enright (1957; ages 9-12; Newbery Honor book 1958)
Henner's Lydia. Marguerite de Angeli (1936; ages 4-8)
Hitty, Her First Hundred Years. Rachel Field (1929; ages 9-12; Newbery Medal winner, 1930)
Knight's Castle. Edward Eager (1956; ages 9-12)
Many Moons. James Thurber and Louis Slobodkin (1943; ages 4-8; Caldecott Medal winner, 1944)
Miss Rumphius. Barbara Cooney (1982; ages 4-8; American Book Award winner) [See Review]
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Robert C. O'Brien (1971; ages 4-8; 1972 Newbery Medal winner) [See Review]
The Time Garden. Edward Eager (1958; ages 9-12)
Twig. Elizabeth Orton Jones (1942; ages 4-8) [See Review]

Well, it's not carved in stone, but those are the books I'm hoping to read during the year. Naturally, I do have a rather lengthy list of additional or back-up titles. Quite lengthy, in fact. Oh well, maybe I should just admit I'd like to read every children's book ever written and be done with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.