Saturday, September 01, 2012

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril / VII


Wow, September already! Was that summer that just whizzed right by? I guess it must have been. And now that fall is just around the corner, it's time for one of my favorite events of the season -- R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril (RIP), hosted every autumn by Carl V. of Stainless Steel Droppings.

And notice the absence of the word "challenge" in the title this year. Carl says he wants to emphasize that the whole idea is "primarily about the great pleasure that can be found in embracing this type of fiction/non-fiction during this season of the year." And I'm in perfect agreement with that!

Of course, it's still bound to be a bit of a challenge for me, since I'm such a slow reader and fall is always such a busy season. So I'm playing it pretty safe, and just signing up for Peril the Second (read two books) and Peril on the Screen. But if things go well, I might try the Short Story Peril this year -- I've got several collections of spooky tales that I'd like to get into.

Oh, and also the two group reads -- The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman -- those are both books I've had on my TBR list for quite a while now, so Peril of the Group Read looks tempting, too.

Hmmmm. Did I say playing it safe? Oh well, time to get reading. The "event" runs during the months of September and October, and I'll be keeping track of my progress on my challenge blog. Not entirely sure what I'll be reading, but here are a few possibilities:
  • Angelica. Arthur Phillips
  • Duma Key. Stephen King
  • The Ghost Writer. John Harwood
  • Lost Boy Lost Girl. Peter Straub
  • The Seer of Shadows. Avi
  • The Small Hand. Susan Hill
  • A Stir of Echoes. Richard Matheson
  • Sumner Island. Michael Cormier
  • 77 Shadow Street. Dean Koontz

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic to have you on board. Not sure your plans are my definition of 'playing it safe', but I understand perfectly. I always have big plans and while I never get to them all I always have fun.

    Hope you can join us for the group reads. I'm really enjoying The Little Stranger thus far and adore The Graveyard Book. Can't wait to talk about that one with others.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.