Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays: Wuthering Heights

This week my teaser lines come from one of my favorite books -- Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I'm not actually reading it at the moment, although I've read it several times in the past. But I wanted a quote from a really romantic book for today, since this is my 99th wedding anniversary. OK, that's not completely true -- we haven't really been married for 99 years. But it's been a long, long time. When M and I walked down the aisle on that hot and humid August afternoon back in 19XX, many of you Dear Readers weren't even born yet. In fact, some of your parents were probably still toddlers. A frightening thought, but true.

Anyway, here's my teaser (from Chapter IX, about midway through) -- Catherine speaking about her feelings for Heathcliff:
My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff’s miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it.... My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He’s always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.
Foolish girl! I won't say any more, in case you haven't read this one. And if you haven't, you should!


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in your comment here.

9 comments:

  1. I've had this on my TBR for quite a long time. I know it's required reading in school for some, but it wasn't one I had to read.

    Here's ours: Here's ours: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/08/tuesday-teasers-two-fiction-and-one-non.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it so long ago that I really must reread it. I love the language in these old classics.

    I am chuckling about your anniversary tale...happy anniversary! I'll bet it was in the 1960s...right?

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was forced to read this in high school and I didn't like it. Maybe I should give it another shot at some point. High school is always so cruel to the classics.

    My Tuesday Teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this again. It's such a good story. Thanks for reminding me.
    My teaser is from LIES THAT BIND by Delinda McCann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I've tried to read this one a few times, and have never managed to get through it. I have, however, seen the movie a few times. Mine also comes from a classic this week: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great one! I haven't read this book in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the very dramatic black and white film with Laurence Olivier, a very young Laurence Olivier, playing Heathcliff. Wonderful film. Hope you get a chance to see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Seen the movie, never tried the book -- I should do. I have been in the mood for something like this so maybe I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.