Friday, September 21, 2012

Fall Into Reading 2012


Yes, it's that time again! Hard to believe, but Autumn is right around the corner. And even though it's not my favorite season, it does bring along one of my favorite reading events of the year: Fall Into Reading. The annual reading challenge, hosted by Katrina at Callapidder Days, runs from September 22 to December 21, and it always provides a wonderful bookish nudge just when I need it. And this year I need it more than ever, if I'm going to make my goal of fifty books for the year. (I know that sounds like a paltry number to a lot of you rapid readers, but fifty is definitely a stretch for me.)

I love Fall Into Reading because there aren't too many rules to follow.  The only real requirement is a list of books you think you might like to read this fall -- great, since I love making lists just about as much as I love reading the books!

So here goes. Some of these are ARCs I've been intending to read for months now.  Some are books from my long-time TBR pile.  And a couple are books I started earlier this year, but never got around to finishing. There's a heavy emphasis on mysteries, thrillers, and spooky stuff -- my favorite genres, at all times of year but especially in the fall.  The list:
  1. The Bartenders' Tale. Ivan Doig (This was an Early Reviewer book from Library Thing, so I really do need to get it read and reviewed.)
  2. Darwin's Ghosts. Rebecca Stott (Ditto. I'm way behind on my Early Reviewer obligations.)
  3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Stieg Larsson (One of the books I started a month or so ago and need to finish.)
  4. The House of Velvet and Glass. Katherine Howe (Received an ARC of this one earlier this year and still haven't gotten around to starting it. Looks interesting.)
  5. Istanbul Passage. Joseph Kanon (Another ARC -- I loved Kanon's Stardust, so I'm looking forward to this one.)
  6. The Little Stranger. Sarah Waters (My current read; a lovely, spooky page-turner, but looooong.)
  7. The Nursing Home Murder. Ngaio Marsh (I'm slowly working my way through all the Inspector Alleyn novels that I haven't read.)
  8. The Pale Horse. Agatha Christie (Same here -- trying to get through all of Christie's work and loving it.)
  9. The Secret Keeper. Kate Morton (Just received an ARC of this one. I think I've read all of Morton's other novels now and enjoyed all of them.)
  10. The Yard. Alex Grecian (One more ARC, and another book I'm really looking forward to reading.)
Of course, I'm expecting the list to change along the way, but that's allowed (another thing I love about this challenge).  And I'll be tracking my progress on my Challenge Blog, here. So I'm all set -- just need to wait for the sign-up linky thing to show up, and I'll be falling into reading again.

10 comments:

  1. I tried this one year and failed miserably. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should sign up for this challenge as well. I am into "The Little Stranger" but I am also reading "An Irish Country Doctor" -- both long so I don't know if I will even make my original challenge goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this challenge, because it is no pressure to get a lot of books read, just what I choose to read this fall. I plan to add onto my list as time goes on, but first I have to read what's on my list for now. Enjoy your Fall Into Reading 2012 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the challenge! I'm taking part too, and am now following you via GFC. I look forward to reading your future posts and seeing your progress! =D
    Rinn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hadn't heard that Kate Morton was coming out with a new one. I'll have to be on the lookout for that, since I've really enjoyed her other novels. I, too, love Agatha Christie and once made my way through all her mysteries.

    For the record, I don't think 50 books in a year is paltry at all. It sounds just about right -- a "doable stretch" for me, I'd say.

    Thanks for being part of Fall Into Reading 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see a couple of books I want to read too. I may have to amend my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the making of the list too! :v) Some great sounding books here. Enjoy your fall reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about Kate Morton but haven't read any of her books yet. I might have to check her out. Happy fall reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices for this time of year! :) Happy reading! Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the Millenium series. I can only imagine where Larson would have taken Blomquist and Lisbeth next...
    You have a nice list. Enjoy you books!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.