Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mount TBR Challenge: Checkpoint No. 3


Well, even though I'm definitely not ready for the beginning of fall and the Holiday Season and all that, it looks like summer really is OVER.  How did that happen? Was I not paying attention, or what?

But I digress.  Already.

So, anyway -- it's time for another checkpoint in the Mount TBR Challenge, hosted by Bev @ My Reader's Block.  Number Three.  Don't think I actually posted anything for Numbers One and Two, even though I intended to.  Yeah, it's been that kinda year. 

But I'm happy (and somewhat amazed) to be able to say that I have now completed the Challenge! I originally signed up at the Pike's Peak Level, planning to read twelve books from my TBR pile; and I find that I've actually done that (see the list of books I've read, here on my Challenge Blog).

Of course, I have many more books (like, hundreds) left on my must-read-someday stack, so I'll continue to climb that mountain and see just how many miles I can knock off by year's end.

Bev included some intriguing questions in her post for Checkpoint No. 3. But I'm pretty satisfied with the challenge levels just the way they are, and I don't seem to be getting any inspiration for poetry from the titles of the books I've read this year.  So I'll just go with question no. 3: "Have any of the books you read surprised you--if so, in what way." Interesting question, because a couple of the books really did surprise me. After having enjoyed several other books by Garrison Keillor, I was expecting great things from Liberty, but it turned out to be sadly disappointing. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised by a new author I discovered this year (well, new to me, anyway) -- Alice Thomas Ellis. Her novel, The Other Side of the Fire, was a great read -- even better than I'd expected from reviews I'd read. Fortunately, most of the books I've read this year have been winners. Hope the streak continues.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it up Pike's Peak! I know what you mean about having others (100s of others) waiting on the TBR pile. I say this every year...but I REALLY intend to try and read nothing but TBR books off of my current stacks next year....We'll see how that goes. :-) Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I have been participating in this challenge from the first of the year because my personal reading challenge was to read only books from my library shelves!....but then I included the caveat that I could read Kindle downloads and those books given to me. I just counted the books I've read this year from my existing library and I was happy to see that I have read 12. Is it possible to climb Pike's Peak without realizing it! Actually I really intended to read more from my TBR stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the Checkpoint Winner! If you'd like to claim the prize, please email me at phryne1969 AT gmail DOT com and I'll set you up with the prize list. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.