Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: The Catcher in the Rye

This week I'm taking my teaser lines from a book that I'm not actually reading at the moment, although I've read it several times in the past. Since this is Banned Books Week, I thought I'd use a little snippet from one of the most frequently banned and challenged modern classics, J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. The book has been a target ever since its publication in 1951, and it continues to stir up controversy in libraries and school districts all over the country.

This excerpt is from page 24, and has the book's protagonist, Holden Caulfield, thinking about his literary preferences (sorry - more than two lines again):
I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.... What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
No, it doesn't, does it? I remember that when I first read the book at about age sixteen or so (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), I was pretty much in total agreement with Holden's thoughts, and really would have liked to call up J.D. Salinger and tell him how much I liked his book. Strange that someone with such reclusive tendencies could have written those lines, but I guess the younger Salinger might not have been such a hermit.


Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by mizB at Should Be Reading. If you'd like to read more teasers, or take part yourself, just head on over to her blog.

And please feel free to leave me a link to your Teaser Tuesday post in a comment here.

23 comments:

  1. Your tease makes me want to go back and read the book again! It's been a while and I've forgotten it! Here's my tease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great book. I was thinking along the same lines, and my teaser is from Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" - challenged again earlier this year.

    http://sarahreadstoomuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a book I really need to to go back and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good teaser! And correct...how many times I have felt the same way.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I never have read this book, I guess maybe I will have to give it a try sometime. The teaser was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great line, Joy! I forgot about that one. I think it gets overshadowed by the opening line, yet there are so many terrific quotations in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all about The Catcher in the Rye -- and what a great line that you selected!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great line. I'd forgotten that Catcher had that line in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the reminder about Banned Books Week. I usually try to observe it by reading a book from the ALA's "Most Challenged" list.

    This is a particularly good quote from Catcher: I haven't read it since high school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser! It's been such a long time since I read this book and your teaser makes me want to read it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, doesn't happen much. Nice teaser. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great teaser! This is a fantastic book. I haven't read it in many years and I wonder what I would think of it now?!

    I might have to find out!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing...this has been the year for me to read the books I missed a long time ago (back when the dinosaurs roamed!). This year I read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time, and now I need to read this one.

    I actually became quite intrigued with the idea of reading it when I read one of Joyce Maynard's memoirs, At Home in the World. When she was quite young, she had a live-in relationship with Salinger for awhile. It was fascinating to read her views on his reclusive behavior, which was even present then. (But then, he wasn't young, she was).

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful read! I really need to revisit it. You picked a great teaser from the book and maybe it will urge those who have never read it to pick it up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like that teaser, but distinctly remember hating that book! lol! I have often felt that way though, I would have to say Anne McCaffrey was probably one of the first I felt that way about, that I really wished she was an Auntie or someone I could just go hang out with and have her tell me stories.

    Thanks for visiting my teaser today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Teaser Tuesday everybody! Hope you will check out my teaser for Tempted (House of Night #6) by PC Cast and Kristin Cast! by the way anyone who features my novel The Thirteenth Chime on a Teaser Tuesday can add there blog link here and they will be featured on my Facebook and Twitter!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this teaser mine is here\
    http://inthe-outhouse.blogspot.com/2010/09/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. great teaser, great book. I've read this book a couple of times too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! YOu picked a really good passage for your teaser there! I read Catcher in the Rye when I was in college...I recall not liking the style very much, but the protaganist grew on me.:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah yes, I remember reading that book way back, lots of memories. Just got to the point where in my TT book one of the main characters has ordered the Salinger by post - across State lines to avoid the censorship!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great teaser, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great teaser :D I must admit, I have never read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting teaser. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.