Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: What's Missing?

This week's Tuesday Thingers topic is another good one:

Is there anything you would like to see added to the Library Thing site? Is there something you like on another bookshelf style site that LT doesn't have?

In addition to my LT account, I have accounts with Good Reads and Shelfari; and I think for general cataloguing purposes LibraryThing is far superior to either of those. And basically, that's what I use LT for. Well, I also like the Early Reviewer program, of course, but that's an extra and not what originally attracted me to LT.

And I love the personal touch you get with Library Thing – Tim and Abby and the rest of the staff are always there ready to answer questions and solve problems. You always feel you're dealing with actual human beings, something you don't really get with most of the other "bookshelf" sites.

I was never all that taken with Shelfari, and I don't use it much. However, there are things about Good Reads that I like. I mainly use GR to keep track of my TBR list and the books I'm currently reading. One thing I like about GR is the little capsule synopses they have for each book – I'd like to see LibraryThing do something like that. You can get reviews at LT, of course, but if you just want to know a little about the plot of a book or what it's about, rather than readers' opinions, it's a little more difficult. And GR has such nice large photos of all the various book covers, instead of the tiny thumbnails at LT.

Also, I've found the discussion groups at Good Reads a little friendlier than those at LT. Maybe I just "hang out" in the wrong groups, but it seems some LT members can be quite prickly at times. It's probably just a result of the Good Reads groups having actual moderators who keep things from getting out of hand, but there does seems to be a lot less arguing and "flaming" there.

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner. If you'd like to see more or participate yourself, head on over to her blog and leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes Joy - I didn't realize that GoodReads had discussion groups - I thought that was LT thing! :) ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never visited GoodReads discussion groups either. Not that I visit that many at LT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it was easier to add friends on LT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only two books and two reviews listed at LT. I can't get use to going there. Probably, I need to go more often. It's so hard to find enough time in a given day to get around to all the great sites. I do miss book discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to head over to GoodReads to explore some more. . .

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.