Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Clouds

This week's Tuesday Thingers subject is all about cloud gazing:

Have you looked at your LT Clouds? Were you surprised at any of the larger tags within the Tag Mirror? Any thoughts on the clouds in general?

This is a really good topic, and something I would never have come up with. But I should probably say right up front that I have no idea what to make of the "tag mirror." Even after I've looked at it, I don't really understand what it is.

I think I may have played with the clouds back around the time I first joined LibraryThing, but not since then. Or maybe when the feature was first introduced. I think clouds are interesting, but I guess they're just not really my thing. I've never been exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with my clouds. I tend to think of them as clutter.

And it bothers me that they're so automatic. I'd like it better if I could have a little more control over which words or terms pop out. Yes, I know they're just a reflection of my collection, but I don't like being reminded that I have more Ruth Rendell than Jane Austen on my shelves. Or that I have more books tagged "amateur sleuths" than I have "history of ideas"!

I guess I need to be more imaginative. And you know, now that I look at it – that author cloud would make pretty cool wrapping paper, wouldn't it?

Tuesday Thingers is hosted by Wendi of Wendi's Book Corner. If you'd like to see more or participate yourself, head on over to her blog and leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. You're right - the author cloud would make great wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...let's me get this. you are upset that the clouds accurately reflect your books and authors. ok, I get that...sort of...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. bermudaonion--
    Especially for wrapping up gift books!

    caite--
    Yes, I know it's contrary. I must be some kind of control freak! But a bookish control freak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of author wrapping paper ... you're on to something here, Joy!

    It would be interesting to see a cloud for my reviews. What words do I overuse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) You know, one of the reasons that I've never added the cloud widget on my blog was because it felt like clutter to me. I really like it on some of the blogs I visit, but not mine.

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.