Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Finds: 22 May 2009

Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by mizb17 at Should Be Reading. Participants are asked to share with other bloggers about the new-to-you books found during the week – books you either want to add to your TBR (to be read) list, or that you just heard about that sounded interesting.

These are my new finds this week. I haven't decided if they'll all make it to my TBR list, but they all look interesting. I believe I discovered most of them while browsing Good Read's First Reads feature. I've requested several of their books lately, but hadn't snagged any until this week – I'm supposed to be receiving The Book of Love soon (so they tell me).
The Painter from Shanghai. Jennifer Epstein
The Embers. Hyatt Bass
The Book of Love. Kathleen McGowan
The Brambles. Eliza Minot
Breakable You. Brian Morton
Silent on the Moor. Deanna Raybourn

I found Silent on the Moor by reading the review by Jenclair over on her blog, A Garden Carried in the Pocket. I know a lot of bloggers have been raving about Deanna Raybourn for years now, but for some reason this was the first time one of her books actually caught my attention. The Lady Julia Grey series sounds great, but I agree with Jenclair about the book covers, so I've included photos of two different examples. I suppose it says a lot about me that I prefer the less lurid, more boring cover – didn't think I was quite so over the hill!

7 comments:

  1. I really like the pink cover for Silent on the Moor, as oppose to the woman on the cover. I really want to read the Painter from Shanghai, I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it.

    Great finds this week. :)

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds. I like the pink cover too - it really leaps out at you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds this week! I love Deanna Raybourn. I actually dislike both those covers - I have a purple version of the pink one for Silent in the Sanctuary and the racy one for Silent on the Moor. Just can't win! LOL. Do start with Silent in the Grave, though, everything will make much more sense. =)

    I also want to read The Painter from Shanghai!

    - Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed The Painter from Shanghai. I read it last year for book club. It was a thought provoking discussion. The heroine was definitely ahead of her time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Painter from Shanghai is on my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silent on the Moor was a good book - I enjoyed the whole series (and I'm giving away a copy in my May Bookshelf cleaning giveaway if you're interested).

    I love the cover of The Painter from Shanghai!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! My book club is going to do the Painter from Shanghai in the fall sometime. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.