Friday, May 01, 2009

Friday Finds: 1 May 2009

Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Participants are asked to share with other bloggers about the new-to-you books found during the week – books you either want to add to your TBR (to be read) list, or that you just heard about that sounded interesting.

I found most of this week's books while researching possibilities for various reading challenges. They may not all make my TBR list, but they all look interesting. My "new finds" list:

The Reserve. Russell Banks
The Dark Lantern. Gerri Brightwell
The Unquiet. John Connolly
Dreaming of the Bones. Deborah Crombie
Water Like a Stone. Deborah Crombie
Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain. Kirsten Menger-Anderson

I think the two Deborah Crombie mysteries look especially promising. Dreaming of the Bones was short-listed for the 1997 Edgar Award, and won the 1998 Macavity Award for Best Mystery Novel. I hadn't known about Crombie's Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series. Kincaid is a Scotland Yard superintendent and Sergeant James is his partner in solving crimes, and the two are also (as they say) romantically involved. Hmmmm. Not sure I'll be able to accept that very easily. And does the Yard really allow that sort of thing?

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure if they allow that sort of thing, but the book looks good. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dark Lantern sounds really good, as do your other finds this week.

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Deborah Crombie's books! I actually read Dreaming the Bones first, although it's the fifth book in the series. I haven't read Water Like a Stone yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it certainly looks like you found some great finds this week! I really like the cover of The Reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with your book titles!


    BTW, everything distils into reading is my new blog. Please do visit it, subscribe to it or follow it! Do help me spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doctor Olaf is one I want to read. Will look forward to your review! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.