Friday, March 21, 2008

Random Notes

If you haven't yet found Blogtations, you might want to check it out. It's a new web site maintained by "Musing Woman" (aka Jeannette), that's a collection of funny, pithy, and downright weird quotations from blogs all over the Internet. Thoroughly entertaining (and I'm not saying that just because I got quoted there). One of my favorites is a quote by "Amalah":

If you have not yet dropped your iPhone in the toilet, consider NOT dropping your iPhone in the toilet.

Good advice, even if your cell phone is not of the "i" variety.

---------------

And speaking of interesting quotes, especially about blogging, here's something from a recent edition of The London Review of Books:

A blogger can have an unedited post up on the web and available to readers within minutes of the idea popping into his head. A blog is non-linear, always unfinished, ever open. It can be indefinitely added to, rewritten, cut from, commented on. But more than that, a blog should be dense with hyperlinks, sending the reader off into the blogosphere and the rest of the internet along a chain of endlessly forking paths. That may well sound like your idea of a nightmare, which is just one of the many reasons the internet isn’t going to make books obsolete anytime soon. – Thomas Jones, "Short Cuts," London Review of Books, 1/24/2008 [Read the entire article here]

---------------

And since I seem to have become one of those dreaded book bloggers, I was interested to read what Richard Schickel and Michael Rogers think of all this book and film reviewing being done by all of us non-experts. Basically, they think we shouldn't be trying it at home, folks. Richard Schickel's article is titled "Not everybody's a critic," and appeared in the L.A. Times. The Michael Rogers article, "Bloggers vs. Reviewers" is at LibraryJournal.com. For the record, I may be a book nerd, but I do not own a single cat – at the moment, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing me into the direction of Blogtations. I have been enjoying the weirdness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving that link to Blogtations. I've been visiting every day and it gives me a laugh! Or smile.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to hear from visitors.

Also, please note that while I appreciate the thought, I don't play the blog awards game. I think you all deserve awards! But you might think about becoming a follower of my blog -- that would really be the best award.